Thursday, February 4

Crombie, Sta-prest and cherry-red Docs

In north London where I grew up, there was a period in around '79/80 where if you weren't a skinhead you were likely to be the victim of a skinhead gang...

You probably know by now that I love these old NEL books... and these titles sensationally and entertainingly exploited a few of the youth cults in the early-mid '70s. But how did the Boot Boy (top left) suddenly become a Smoothie (bottom left) without changing his shirt or haircut?

5 comments:

Lola said...

Woah, totally reminds me of my childhood (West London)

Rowan said...

Ah Guy.. the true Skinhead wore a Harrington Jacket, rolled up bleach spotted Levis and 11 hole or more Doc Martins, and listened to 'moon stompin'... a smoothie wore 2Tone or stay press, Brutus or Ben Sherman shirts and tasselled loafers, and of course the hair a bit longer, listened to Jig-a-jig... the suede heads were an in betweenie... when i was 10yrs old i was the mascot for the 'coulsdon old ole'... hahaha.... those pics take me back

'kin great days

DicE Magazine said...

I remember those days well mate, whereabouts in North London were you? There was this skinhead squat that a bloke called Nick lived in in the Camden area, there was always some of the Madness blokes hanging out at the place, what a shit hole it was too. I had this killer green tonic shirt with union jack buttons. Looking back I'm not too sure that they were good times or not, it was brief, I do remember that. Btw bruv, you have a place to kip at my gaff when you come over if you want it.
Cheers
Matt

Hermann said...

I've got a copy of one called Freaks which is about hippies in Ladbroke Grove, to go with a shelf full of biker ones and Boot Boys. Have you got the bigger format NEL biker books?
Hermann

Peter said...

Have you read that book called 'Bovver?' It's more recent but a pretty good chronicle of lifestyle from the late 60s on (from a football perspective).