Tuesday, March 9

Progress? What progress?





A few months ago I had a sweet running, stock '52 Panhead. And today I wish I'd kept it that way.

Now that there is a little sunshine warming our backs, and the snowstorms seem less frequent, I want to ride, not sit staring at wiring diagrams, service manuals, or parts that won't fit.

I have some undercover workspace, but no workbench, not even a vice. I'm getting sick of making do and getting by, trying to get a bike back on the road with no spare time, few tools and dwindling enthusiasm.

With little experience or mechanical aptitude, I've realised the cutdown bars I thought were ready for the internal throttle actually need reaming out for the control coil plug to fit, and I need to drill and re-tap the hole in the bars where the grub screw sits to hold the control coil plug steady. Fiddly fucking nonsense, and all my fault for being impetuous and not looking ahead.

Then I need to clean and powdercoat the old star hub I have, and fit new bearings. Then I'm going to try to lace the hub to my 18" repro 45 rim.

Oh... then I need to rewire the bike, paint and fit Irish Rich's tanks (if they ever arrive; I think customs are totting up what I owe them and are luxuriating in the task), decide what to run as a rear fender and light, and all while spending 12 hours a day trying to publish the magazine and look after two kids under two.

Ever feel you've bitten off more than you can chew?

(By the way, in the current economic climate, I want to support British companies, but when one of the UK's largest online Harley parts suppliers quoted me £27 – $40! – for a handlebar end spring, I decided I'm keeping my business with JW Boon in Holland, W&W in Germany and US suppliers).

9 comments:

Pete Stansfield said...

So you will be ready for the 1st of april then ? its a wednesday, the suns going to shine, the birds will be tweeting, Hovingam tea rooms 11.00 am ?

Steve@funkyflipflop said...

Hang on in there Guy...It'll all come good in the end mate...Shame you don't live closer, be happy to share my garage & bike ramps with ya mate.

Guy@GK said...

Thanks for the encouragement Steve!

And you've thrown the gauntlet there Pete... if I get it done in a month I might even treat meself to a teacake... it's nights in the shed from now on.

I'm off to B&Q for a flamin' heater...

drsprocket said...

It's like birthing a child. After the first ride you forget the pain and suffering in creating it and just love the end results. Or so they tell me. The end will justify the means, or this to shall pass. Stiff upper guy.

tiptopdadddy said...

Yes. Tore down the Honda and got an unexpected run of decent weather in an already busy month. We will get there bro, just keep pluggin.

Anonymous said...

if it makes it any better, your old pan still together and going great guns. Stick in there.
cheers Julian

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your having one of those days we all go through. Its easy to look at the pictures and miss all the hours that can go into the simplest job. They say the devil is in the detail. I spent 2 hours getting a bolt out of a foot peg tonight, an easy job with gas but I don't have any. You can only do your best. Felt guilty should have been playing with my 4 month old girl. Keep the faith. Love your mag.

Rivet said...

Glad to see the rim got to you ok.

Cheer up!

DicE Magazine said...

Mate, I know exactly how you feel. Spring is just around the corner though bruv. Lets dance. xxxx